The American Red Cross encourages eligible blood donors to make and keep donation appointments to maintain the summer blood supply and help prevent a shortage. Donors of all blood types are needed, especially those with type O negative, B negative and A negative.
While the need for blood remains constant during the summer, donations drop. Between June and August, on average, two fewer donors give blood at each Red Cross blood drive than what hospitals need. This seasonal decline could be overcome if just two additional donors — above what is expected — give blood at each Red Cross blood drive this summer.
Every two seconds someone in the United States needs blood. Recently, a patient needed 79 blood products after injuries sustained during a car accident. Thanks to blood donors who gave in the days and weeks prior, blood products were available for this patient and thousands of others at approximately 2,700 hospitals and transfusion centers across the country supported by the Red Cross.
This summer, there are 100 chances to give hope with the Red Cross by giving blood. Visit www.redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS to learn more and make an appointment.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
- June 17 from 3 to 7 p.m. at American Legion Hall, 300 Veterans Memorial Parkway in Jerseyville
- June 17 from 2 to 6 p.m. at Dairy Queen Bethalto, 444 W. Bethalto Dr. in Bethalto
- June 19 from 1 to 7 p.m. at GC Cuisine and Crystal Gardens, 1230 University Drive in Edwardsville
- June 19 from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Alton Square Mall, 200 Alton Square in Alton
- June 24 from 2 to 6 p.m. at Culvers, 6724 Old Troy Road in Edwardsville
- June 24 from 2:30 to 7:30 p.m. at Knights of Columbus, 1 Columbus Plaza in Collinsville
- June 24 from 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. at Challenge Unlimited, 4 Emmie L. Kaus Lane in Alton
- June 30 from 2 to 7 p.m. at LeClaire Christian Church, 1914 Esic Drive in Edwardsville
The Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center will hold the following blood drives in June.
- Wednesday, June 4: Saint Anthony’s Health Center, 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 4: Edwardsville Knights of Columbus Hall, 3-6:30 p.m.
- Thursday, June 12: St. Joseph’s Hospital, 2-6 p.m.
- Thursday, June 18: First Clover Leaf Bank (Goshen), 1-4 p.m.
- Friday, June 27: West Star Aviation, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Friday, June 27, and Saturday, June 28: Alton Square Mall, 1-6 p.m. and 10 a.m.-3 p.m.
Information about Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center is available at http://www.bloodcenter.org/index.aspx.