Ameren is providing utility customers with information to protect themselves from being scam victims.
On its website, the utility provides a list of activities it will do, including:
- Offer various payment options.
- Take payments over the phone using third party vendor Western Union Speedpay
- Notify you prior to a disconnection through mail, text and email alerts. Field representatives may also contact customers by phone or in person to inform them of a disconnection.
- Work with vendors to conduct surveys on the utility's behalf.
- Initiate payment arrangements by phone with an Ameren representative.
- Mail (or email) information periodically to increase awareness of new programs, products and services that may affect customers' account.
Activities the utility does not do include:
- Send emails that include attachments, unless customers have specifically contacted Ameren to request the information.
- Demand personal, account or financial information for immediate payment.
- Come to a customer's home without a scheduled appointment for reported outages or gas leak orders.
For information, customers can call Ameren Illinois at 800-755-5000.
Recent scams using Ameren's name:
Phone scam demanding payment by credit, debit or pre-paid "Green Dot" card or be disconnected immediately. The utility never demands payments; it offer payment arrangements. Call Ameren to report this scam.
Nationwide email scam requesting customers make an immediate payment by opening an attachment. The attachment is believed to be a virus. Do not respond to the request or message, do not open any attachments and delete the email immediately.
Person claiming to be an Ameren representative comes to your home. Customers should ask for photo identification clearly showing an Ameren logo; if they do not have any, call the utility to report this scam.