GODFREY — The village’s annual family Corn Festival at the Great Godfrey Maze will be Saturday, Sept. 26.
“We couldn’t be more excited about this year’s Great Godfrey Maze,” Director of Parks and Recreation Kimberly Caughran said. “The Fabulous Fox had the idea to partner with a local fall corn maze to celebrate their return of the Broadway production of ‘Wicked.’ Impressed with the popularity of our maze, they approached us in June about forming this partnership.”
As a result, the maze is a 7-acre adventure cut into a graphic image of the musical’s iconic artwork. The maze is Glazebrook Park’s largest attraction and admission for adults is $6 and $4 for youth, but there are many additional activities for young and old to enjoy. The cow train and hay wagon are available to ride with the purchase of a $2 tickets and the corn crib is free for everyone. All tickets are purchased at the concession stand.
The Corn Festival schedule, with additional park activities, is as follows:
- 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.: The Great Godfrey Maze opens. Bubble Machine (cow train), Magical Express (hay wagon) and Munchkinland open
- 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Vendors open for business, inflatables and games for children
- 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.: Pony rides
- Noon: Corn-on-the-cob eating contest
- 1 p.m.: Shuck Off (corn-shucking contest)
- 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.: BeBe the Clown and balloon animals, helicopter rides (fee)
- 2 p.m.: Treasure hunt in the Corn Crib
- 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.: Godfrey Fire Protection District truck on display
- 3 p.m.: Corn cook-off contest
- 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Live music by Back in the Saddle, Midwest Garrison 501st Legion, Actors for Make-A-Wish
- 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Little Miss & Mister Maze
The staff at the Great Godfrey Maze wants to promote a family-friendly environment.
“As a municipal park, Glazebrook belongs to everyone,” Mayor Mike McCormick said. “It ‘takes a village’ to safeguard a family-friendly environment. Residents are encouraged to help park staff by setting a positive example and encourage those who might be rowdy or using inappropriate language to be respectful of all park guests.”
The maze promises to be the best year ever and staff looks forward to providing guests with a “Wickedly” fun experience. Starting Oct. 2, an additional haunted maze will open after dark Friday and Saturday evenings. More information about rates and group events at the Great Godfrey Maze can be viewed on the village of Godfrey website, www.godfreyil.org. “Like” the Village of Godfrey Parks & Recreation Department on Facebook to keep up with changes to the schedule or weather updates.
Part of Stamper Lane is closed because of road construction. The closure is from just west of the main entrance of Glazebrook Park to just east of the Knights of Columbus entrance. Traffic that needs to get to North Elementary School, Camelot Subdivision, the baseball fields and Glazebrook Park needs to enter Stamper Lane from Godfrey Road. Any traffic that needs to get to Godfrey’s Knights of Columbus needs to enter Stamper Lane from Pierce Lane. This road closure could be in effect until Nov. 22.