ALTON — GET REAL, Jacoby Arts Center’s new exhibition, opens with a reception from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, March 6.
The reception, where the public can meet the artists and view their works, is free and features hors d’oeuvres, music by “Piano Man” Jerry Lavick and a cash bar. The exhibit will remain on view in the Main Gallery from March 6 to April 18. Gallery hours are noon to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Saturday and the center is located at 627 E. Broadway, Alton. The exhibition is sponsored by Barb and Dit Panfile.
Art Group 360 is a coalition of six Midwestern artists who explore the world around them from diverse points of view, through different mediums and in uniquely personal styles. Their goal is to demonstrate and celebrate the relevancy of the realist tradition in contemporary art. Art Group 360 includes St. Louis area artists John Dean, Marie Donato, Janet Fons, Lisa Ober, Steve Morris and Linda Smith.
The exhibit showcases realistic scenes and situations that reflect the dichotomy of the St. Louis region – the urban and the rural. From everyday objects and landscapes to the human figure and botanicals, they are scenes familiar to all, but viewed like never before through the eyes of artists who uncover the hidden beauty we are often too busy to see.
“The artistry, professionalism and diversity of the group will make this exhibit true eye candy for art lovers,” Jacoby board of directors member Dee Kilgo said. “By exploring a broad range of ideals, materials and processes, the members of Art Group 360 create a stimulating approach to observational and representational painting.”
Featured artists include:
• John Dean — Based on careful observation and expressive representation, Dean’s paintings reflect the quintessential Midwest scene, highlighting iconic barns, plowed fields and open skies.
• Marie Donato — Through chosen painted experiences of light and dark, Donato invites viewers into the river landscape, sharing its beauty, strength and drama.
• Janet Fons — Fons’ colorful palette and strong brush work grab moments of light from life’s scenes, imparting just enough detail to allow viewers to feel they are there.
• Lisa Ober — Awash in exquisite realism, Ober’s intricate portraits capture the personality of each muse while her still lifes focus on down-to-earth and everyday subjects with a playful twist.
• Steve Morris — Morris realistically depicts nature at different stages of life. He captures beauty even after the beauty is gone to demonstrate how Mother Nature weaves artistry into everything she creates.
• Linda Smith — A self-proclaimed people watcher, Smith gives art lovers a glimpse into the world of others. Her study of the human body and its surrounding environments is her love story to real life.
To learn more about Art Group 360 and get a sneak peek at many of the works to be featured at GET REAL, visit www.artgroup360.com. Information also is available by calling (636) 368-1651.
For information, call JAC at (618) 462-5222 during gallery open hours or visit website www.jacobyartscenter.org.