ALTON — A diverse assortment of haunted tours will be offered next month.
All tours include a three-hour trolley jaunt to the following locations:
• The first stop is the Captain Leyhe House. This colorful riverboat captain owned and operated the Eagle Packet Co. His beautiful home was designed by architect Lucas Pfeiffenberger circa 1865 and built by labor from the nearby prison. Cold spots, ghost mirrors and hidden nooks contain the residue of many secrets.
• Travel the sinister Hopp Hollow Road and roam the Confederate Cemetery, final resting place of soldiers who died in the infamous Alton Penitentiary. But not all of them are at rest, as evidenced on electronic voice phenomenon captured during recent tours.
• The last stop is the enigmatic McPike Mansion. Sitting vacant, aside from its ghostly inhabitants, this historic dwelling is the epitome of a haunted house. Join in a dark room session in the vaulted wine cellar — where many elemental spirits are reputed to reside.
Below is a list of tour dates, times and prices. Ghost hunters are encouraged to bring cameras and ghost-hunting equipment. Dinner tours include a meal prepared by My Just Desserts: autumn salad, chicken tettrazini, homemade roll and choice of pumpkin pecan pie or Tollhouse brownie.
Alton is considered by many to be one of the most haunted small towns in the nation. Tours sell out quickly and are on a first-come, first-serve basis. For more information or to make a reservation, visit www.AltonHauntedTours.com or call (618) 462-3861.
Trolley tours begin at My Just Desserts, in the historic Simeon Ryder Building. Dating to 1845, the building served as a courthouse during the 1800s and saw cases tried by the young attorney from Springfield, Abraham Lincoln. The evening begins in the second-floor meeting room, where EMFs are active and orbs are abundant.
- Waking The Dead Tours: 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Oct. 2-3, $35
- Bare Bones Tours: 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Oct. 9, 10, 16 and 23, $45
- Witching Hour Tours: 10:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. Oct. 9, 10, 16, 17, 23, 24, 30 and 31, $45
- Eating With The Entities: 6 p.m. to 10:30 p.m. Oct. 17, 24, 30 and Nov. 1, $58