WOOD RIVER — Students from Yi’s Martial Arts Fitness Academy took part in the Willow Invitational tournament Aug. 28 in Kirkwood, Mo.
The students were encouraged to earn all or part of the entry fee by doing tasks of their parents’ choosing.
With 69 competitors, there was a lot of competition. For many, this was their first taekwondo competition. The events included weapons forms, traditional forms, breaking, high jump, foam sword fighting, point sparring and Olympic sparring.
“In most sports, you spend a lot of time practicing so you can excel in games when you play against another team,” said Grand Master Chris Lee, seventh-degree black belt and owner of Yi’s. “It’s the same in martial arts, except that instead of playing in a traditional game, we compete in tournaments.”
The competitors from Yi’s earned many medals, in age/belt ranking appropriate competitions:
• Addison K. — First in breaking and foam sword, second in forms, third in high jump.
• Ali T. — First in forms, breaking and point sparring; third in high jump.
• Brandon C. — First in forms and foam sword; third in breaking and high jump.
• Caleb F. — First in foam sword, form, high jump, Olympic sparring and point sparring; second in breaking.
• Katie C. — First in forms, foam sword and breaking; third in high jump.
• Lexis R. — Second in foam sword; third in high jump.
• Noah O. — First in breaking; second in foam swords and Olympic sparring; third in high jump and forms.
• Noah R — Second in foam sword; third in breaking, high jump and Olympic sparring.
• Shane K. — First in Olympic sparring, forms and foam sword.
• Skyler L. — First in point sparring, second in foam sword and third in breaking.
“Our kids worked hard and we are very proud of what they achieved,” said Master Jay, fourth-degree black belt and instructor at Yi’s.
Yi’s Martial Arts Fitness Academy in downtown Wood River has been involved in the area since 1960. Their children’s classes are specifically designed for children. Yi’s also has adult classes and specializes in bullying prevention, women’s self-defense, family safety, birthday parties and summer camps.
For information call (618) 251-5425.