For AdVantage News | Bobby Simms
John Simmons, far right, stands with employees of AdVantage News.
I’m John Simmons, publisher of AdVantage News, a new publication for the Greater Alton region. Born in Alton and raised in Rosewood Heights, I attended Roxana High School. My family had an East Alton mailing address, but we lived in Wood River Township and drank Bethalto water. For emergencies, we contacted the Madison County Sheriff or relied on the Rosewood Heights Volunteer Fire Department. Complicated? Yes, but that’s our community.
This paper will serve the places we live: Grafton, Godfrey, Jerseyville, Brighton, Alton, East Alton, Cottage Hills, Bethalto, Meadowbrook, Moro, Dorsey, Rosewood Heights, Wood River, Roxana, South Roxana and Hartford.
Maybe it’s because I was born in Alton or because Alton has the largest population, but I refer to this region as “Greater Alton.” All of these parts make us strong − they make us “Greater Alton.”
An effective local newspaper strengthens the ties that bind our communities. A locally oriented newspaper ensures accountability in civic affairs and celebrates accomplishments that otherwise might go unnoticed. AdVantage News will not try to report or explain the wars in Afghanistan or Iraq. To the relief of many (and the chagrin of others), we don’t intend to sway your political or spiritual beliefs.
The newspaper will have five parts:
1. The Weekend Edition - This is the paper you are reading now. The Weekend Edition will provide you with our broadest printed news coverage, and it will be available for home delivery on a subscription basis.
2. AdVantage News.com – Our improved website will serve as your source for comprehensive and up-to-the-minute breaking local news;
3. The Daily Email – We will offer email users a summary of the day’s top stories;
4. The Weekend Edition Online – An electronic version of AdVantage News Weekend Edition also will be available; and
5. The Shopper - We are pleased to continue a midweek edition similar to Today’s AdVantage, with expanded content. This edition will be similar to Today’s AdVantage now called AdVantage NEWS – Marketplace and it will continue to be distributed free of charge across the community.
We are proud to continue to make AdVantage NEWS – Marketplace available to everyone, and we are excited to offer our other products through subscription. Your subscription can be customized to allow you to take advantage of all the news products we offer.
Welcome to AdVantage News. Explore for yourself and find out why we should be your source for local news coverage.