ALTON — An Alton resident was hospitalized for smoke inhalation after a basement fire Tuesday afternoon on Arch Street.
Alton Fire Chief Bernie Sebold said the fire department responded to the fire in the 800 block of Arch Street at 12:18 p.m. The fire started in the basement and is suspected to be electrical because of its origin near the home’s breaker box.
The house did not have any structural damage but the three occupants will be displaced until smoke damage is repaired, Sebold said. One of the residents was transported to a local hospital for smoke inhalation, he said.
The house’s occupants were renters and did not have renter’s insurance. The property’s owner, however, has insurance and the owner’s relatives are securing the property, Sebold said.
The Red Cross has been notified about providing assistance to the home’s residents.
Alton activated the Mutual Aid Box Alarm System to request a pumper from the East Alton Fire Department. Twelve Alton firefighters were joined by four East Alton firefighters in fighting the fire, which took about 15 minutes to extinguish. Clearing smoke from the house and investigating the fire took about another hour, Sebold said.