According to the National Health Awareness website, the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence Inc. are sponsoring April as Alcohol Awareness Month.
Check it out at http://healthfinder.gov/nho/AprilToolkit.aspx. Tell your friends, maybe over iced tea! It is well-known that excessive alcohol intake increases risk for injury and medical problems. But people should take every step to keep that awareness as a top priority for everyone, every day. It might be easy to forget, especially if someone has had one too many. Have a conversation today with someone you love, or don’t know at all, about alcohol. You’d be surprised what you can learn or can teach. Do you keep track of how much you drink every week? Do you know if your children, teenagers or seniors have access to alcohol? What are the benefits of drinking less, or not drinking at all? You might be surprised. According to the Mayo Clinic, alcohol is linked to a surprising array of health problems ranging from high blood pressure, diabetes and liver problems like hepatitis to fetal alcohol syndrome, and alcohol can reduce your ability to fight other diseases. Learn more at http://www.mayoclinic.org.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports the number of emergency room visits for alcohol-related injuries hovered around 189,000 in 2010 for people under the age of 21. A 2013 Monitoring the Future Survey reported that up to 28 percent of eighth-graders had tried alcohol. Youths who drink are expected to experience a higher rate of social, academic, medical and traumatic problems that can have lifelong effects. Check out the CDC alcohol fact sheet at http://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/fact-sheets/underage-drinking.htm.
But everyone is at risk, even if you don’t drink. According to the Illinois State Police website, only 10 percent of licensed drivers are under the age of 21 but account for 17 percent of alcohol-related fatalities. Unfortunately, that leaves 83 percent of traffic fatalities linked to older, more responsible drinkers who should know better. In the state of Illinois, providing alcohol to a person younger than 21 can return up to a year in jail and a $2,500 fine. That does not include the civil and criminal liability of property damage, injury or death of another person. So, be mindful of your liquor cabinets! Are there bottles missing? Has some alcohol been replaced with water? Do you really need this stuff in the house right now? Once they go to college, the average college student will spend more money on alcohol than on school books.
For more information on alcohol and an array of public safety issues, check out the ISP website at http://www.isp.state.il.us/. Or log on and surf any of the sites listed here. You can also contact the National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Dependence Inc., 217 Broadway, Suite 712, New York, NY 10007; (800) NCA-CALL (622-2255) (24-hour helpline), (212) 269-7797, (212) 269-7510 (fax), firstname.lastname@example.org and www.ncadd.org.
Some information adapted and reproduced as a courtesy from the source: 2015 National Health Observances, National Health Information Center, Office of Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, D.C.