Disasters can strike at any time, and the American Red Cross encourages eligible donors to help their communities prepare for emergencies by giving blood during National Preparedness Month.
The mission of the Red Cross is to help the public prevent, prepare for and respond to emergencies. During National Preparedness Month, the Red Cross reminds Americans to take simple steps to get ready for emergencies in their homes, workplaces and communities. One way to support this mission is to become a regular blood donor.
A stable blood supply is central to ensuring patient needs are met in emergencies. Blood can take up to three days to be tested, processed and made available for patients. It’s the blood already on the shelves that can help save lives when disaster strikes.
Appointments to donate and help the Red Cross prepare for patient needs across the country can be made at www.redcrossblood.org. Information about other ways to help prepare for emergencies is available at redcross.org.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities:
- Tuesday, Sept. 16: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Dental Building, 280 Center for Professional Advancement, 2800 College Ave., Alton
- Wednesday, Sept. 17: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., Bethalto Senior Citizens Center, 100 E. Central St., Bethalto
- Wednesday, Sept. 17: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., LeClaire Christian Church, 1914 Esic Drive, Edwardsville
- Wednesday, Sept. 17: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Lewis and Clark Community College, 5800 Godfrey Road, Godfrey
- Wednesday, Sept. 17: 2 p.m. to 7 p.m., Alton Wood River Sportsmen’s Club, 3109 Godfrey Road, Godfrey
- Sunday, Sept. 21: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., Glen Carbon Fire Department, 430 Glen Carbon Road, Glen Carbon
- Monday, Sept. 22: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., Korte Recreation Center, 1 Nagel Drive, Highland
- Monday, Sept. 22: 3 p.m. to 7 p.m., Hamel Community Building, 10 Park Ave., Hamel
- Tuesday, Sept. 23: 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., Wood River VFW 2859, 231 Edwardsville Road, Wood River
- Monday, Sept. 29: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Southwestern Illinois College, 4950 Maryville Road, Granite City
- Tuesday, Sept. 30: 3:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m., Granite City Senior High School, 3101 Madison, Granite City