BETHALTO — The School Board recognized three organizations during the “good news” portion of the board’s regular meeting March 23.
The first group recognized was the Pazzazz dance team and coaches for another successful season. The second group recognized was the 2014-2015 Civic Memorial High School girls’ basketball team and coaches. For the third consecutive year, the Eagles won regionals, and being a team with no seniors the future looks bright. CMHS Principal Justin Newell pointed out that coach Jonathan Denney was named Illinois Basketball Coaches Association Co-coach of the Year. The district also recognized senior drafting students who participated in the I.D.E.A Regional
Drafting and C.A.D. competition. Charley Whitlock earned Silver for 2D Architectural C.A.D., Alex Conley earned Silver for 3D C.A.D. Modeling and Kyle Costanzo won Gold for 3D Assembly Modeling.
March is National School Social Worker Month and the School Board heard a presentation by the district’s social workers. Janet Craig, Eileen Broske, Dawn Reising and Patti Jordahl shared aspects of what a social worker does, and specifically how they individually help the students.
In other action, the board:
• Approved a change in Trimpe Middle School start and end time for the 2015-2016 school year. The school day will start 10 minutes later than the current year and end 10 minutes later then the current year. This move helps relieve busing issues throughout the district.
• Approved Trimpe Middle School change in Encore classes from quarters to trimesters for the 2015-2016 school year.
• Approved the 2015-2016 school calendar. Teachers institute days will be Aug. 11-12, with the first student attendance day set for Aug. 13.
• Approved the Civic Memorial High School IHSA membership renewal for the 2015-2016 school year at no cost to the district.
• Approved bid proposals for the 2015-2016 school year. These proposals covered: telephone service from Call One, managed switches from Aprisa Technology LLC, Internet access service from Illinois Century Network and wireless access points from CDWG.
• Agreed to hire Dennis Rose and Associates to perform an audit.
• Approved the second reading of board policies as presented by the Policy Committee and adopted these as part of the board policy.
• Approved various personnel actions as well as a reduction in force: honorable dismissal of teachers (three teachers were part of this reduction in force).