WOOD RIVER — The Wood River Fire Department was called to the Wood River Aquatic Center at 4:05 p.m. Tuesday for a chemical reaction between two kinds of chlorine.
“A part-time employee accidentally mixed two types of chlorine,” Wood River aquatic center manager Fred Slow said. “The chemicals combined, along with heat, caused the quarter-size tablets to start popping.”
The fire department temporarily evacuated the aquatic center as a precaution.
“There was a party on the property at the time of the incident," Wood River Fire Capt. Brendan McKee said. “We were able to knock down a small vapor cloud with a spray of water and separated the chemical tablets to stop the reaction."
McKee said the sound of the reaction resembled a shotgun blast.
The Aquatic Center was able to re-open to allow the party to continue. No property damage or injuries were reported. The East Alton Fire Department moved up to cover the Wood River station while firefighters tended to the chemical reaction at the aquatic center.
“I was very impressed on how Captain McKee and the fire department took quick control of the scene,” Slow said. “They took care of the problem quickly and we were able to get back to business as usual.”
The Aquatic Center will be open Wednesday as planned.