WASHINGTON — After pledging to fight against cuts to Medicare Advantage, U.S. Rep. Bill Enyart announced the administration’s proposal was reversed this week.
Strong pushback from Enyart and other members of Congress reversed the proposed payment cuts to private health plans in Medicare Advantage.
“This is a victory for those that need it most, the Southern Illinoisans that rely upon Medicare Advantage for their everyday health care needs,” Enyart said. “We need to balance the budget, but it cannot be on the backs of our seniors.”
Enyart wrote a letter to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius urging the administration to stop and reverse proposed cuts to the program.
On Monday, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services said government payments to insurers in the Medicare Advantage program will increase 0.4 percent on average in 2015. This is in stark contrast to the 1.9 percent cut to private plans proposed in February.
“Last week, I stood on the House floor and talked about Carolyn Morgan from DuQuoin,” Enyart said. “ I talked about how much she needed this program for her health. I’m proud to say today that we can continue helping Carolyn and the thousands more like her in this district.”
The 12th District of Illinois includes 122,380 constituents covered by Medicare. More than 28,000 individuals use Medicare Advantage as well. The reversal announced this week will keep cuts out of the Medicare program through 2015.