(From left) Lauren Ratliff (Roxana), Mary Alice Gowin (Civic Memorial), Collin Arcynski (Marquette), Jessica Muntz (Mississippi Valley), Sylvia Aller (East Alton-Wood River), Adele Schenk (Alton) and chapter regent Claudette Green.
GODFREY — Local students were honored with the Ninian Edwards Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Good Citizen Essay Award in a ceremony Feb. 14 in the chapel at the Methodist Village in Godfrey. Claudette Green, chapter regent, officiated.
The honorees are:
Lauren Ratliff, Roxana High School
Mary Alice Gowin, Civic Memorial High School
Collin Arcynski, Marquette Catholic High School
Jessica Muntz, Mississippi Valley Christian School
Sylvia Aller, East Alton-Wood River High School
Adele Schenk, Alton Senior High School* (*Adele’s portfolio was selected to advance to the district completion.)
The high schools base their selection upon these criteria:
• Involvement in extracurricular activities
• Contributions to the community.
• Preparations for further education.
• Demonstration of the good citizen qualities of dependability, honesty, leadership and patriotism.
To participate, students have to submit a portfolio including:
• A grade transcript.
• Two letters of recommendation.
• A description of how he/she manifests the qualities of a good citizen.
• An essay on the topic: How does one’s personal heritage affect one’s duties to our nation?