EDWARDSVILLE — Southern Illinois University Edwardsville’s Library and Information Services introduces a digital library that offers a visual and historic look into the creation and opening of the university’s Edwardsville campus.
The university was established in 1957 as a result of Madison and St. Clair county residents’ demand for a public university in Southwestern Illinois. The campus, designed by Gyo Obata, opened Sept. 23, 1965. A dedication ceremony was held May 13, 1966.
The exhibit honors Dr. Harold W. See, who served as the founding executive of SIUE from 1955-1960, along with other founders and the early faculty, staff and students.
“Harold See and the thousands of citizens of Southwestern Illinois who shared his vision certainly made big plans, aimed high in hope and work, lobbied, donated, voted, and ultimately succeeded in transforming their dream of greater education opportunity for their children into reality,” an SIUE press release states.
The digital library also features narrative text, digitized photographs and university documents dating from 1957-1966.
To view the exhibit, visit siue.edu/lovejoylibrary/about/digital_collections.