An area business will help residents get rid of old electronic items at two recycling drives.
CJD E-Cycling of Alton will host two drives:
• City of Alton bulk and large item drop-off day, 7 to 11 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 4, at former landfill across from Alton VFW, 4445 Alby St., Alton. For information, call the Alton Public Works Department at (618) 463-3530.
• 1st Mid America Credit Union, 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Oct 4, at 1795 E. Edwardsville Road, Wood River.
CRT televisions will not be accepted at these drives. There is a limit of one CRT monitor per tower.
Illinois law prohibits landfill disposal of electronic devices, including computers, cellphones and printers. CJD E-Cycling will take those items for free, providing community members with a secure option for discarding used electronics.
The following items are a sample of what is accepted:
- Computers, printers, cables and peripherals ( keyboards, mice, etc.)
- Fax machines, scanners, digital converter boxes, cable receivers, satellite receivers
- Video game consoles, digital video disc player/recorders, portable music players
- Networking equipment, server, telecommunications, phones, cellphones, clocks
- VCR, stereos and audio/video equipment, including cable/satellite
- Holiday lights, metal decorations and metal furniture
- Electric, cabling, communication machinery
- Home electronics, blenders, toasters
- White goods: washers, dryers, dishwashers, furnaces
- Medical equipment and all types of diagnostic equipment
- Industrial machinery and equipment, including power and gas equipment
- Lawn equipment, tools, old mowers, tillers, etc.
- Air conditioners, refrigerators, humidifiers
- Old motors, non-PCB type transformers
- Car and re-chargeable household batteries and lead items
- Non-ferrous metals
- LCD monitors (flat screen )
- LCD TVs (flat screen )
The following items will not be accepted:
- CRT TVs, console TVs and projection TVs
- Hazardous materials (oil, antifreeze, paint, pesticides, oil filters, air bags, lead mercury switches and fluorescent lights)
- Non-electronics (tires, dirt, wood, asbestos, office waste, insulation, fiberglass, roofing, solid waste and furniture)
- Flammable material
- Explosives (firearms, ammunition, shells, artillery)
- PCBs (capacitors, transformers and ballast)
- Radioactive materials
- Other hazardous materials (pesticides, oil filter, air bags, lead, mercury switches, fluorescent lights)
Limited items include:
- 1 – CRT monitor per tower (will not accept CRT monitors without tower)
The CJD E-Store is located at 4758 Humbert Road, Alton. It is open to the public to purchase refurbished electronics such as flat-screen TVs, laptop computers and full computer systems including towers and monitors.