Fosterburg firefighter Nick Koeller, right, helps battle an electrical fire that destroyed a Cottage Hills home Wednesday. The Fosterburg and Meadowbrook fire departments assisted Cottage Hills Fire Protection District.
COTTAGE HILLS – An electrical fire Wednesday turned a Cottage Hills home into winter's latest victim, as homeowners turn up the heat to deal with the cold.
Cottage Hills Fire Protection District got a call about 9:50 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 5, to 1113 Lee Ave. in Cottage Hills, where an electrical fire broke out in the house’s bathroom.
Cottage Hills Fire Chief Rob Simmons said the fire originated in an overloaded outlet box in the bathroom. Simmons said an electrical oil heater and a water pipe heating cable were connected to the box. He said the pipe heating cable ran through the wall to the outside of the home.
The house was a total loss, Simmons said, adding they were able to get the fire under control.
The female and male inhabitant of the house both got out safely, but the male victim was treated at Alton Memorial Hospital for burns on his hand.
Firefighters were able to save the family cat, who they found hiding inside the house, Simmons said.
He said the house was listed as belonging to Kristal Bricker, of Cottage Hills.
Fosterburg and Meadowbrook fire departments assisted on the scene.