Photo by Jason White
The Alton Fire Department responded to a kitchen fire in the 3200 block of Myrle Street at 3:04 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 21.
ALTON — Two residents were displaced from a home on Myrle Street when one of the residents left the kitchen stove burning to do laundry on Sunday, an Alton Fire Department official said.
Firefighters were dispatched to the house in the 3200 block of Myrle at 3:04 p.m. Battalion Chief Dave Eichen said one of the residents came into the kitchen to find the stove on fire. The resident told firefighters the home’s owner left the house to do laundry with the stove burning. The resident said he considered putting out the fire himself but decided to leave the house and call 911 instead, Eichen said.
The East Alton Fire Department was activated for mutual aid because at the time of the fire call, Alton was responding to a fire alarm across town.
The house suffered extensive fire damage in the kitchen and smoke and heat damage throughout the house. Eichen credited firefighters for confining the fire damage to the kitchen.
The house was uninhabitable Sunday. The two residents were able to find another place to stay, Eichen said.