BETHALTO — Firefighters quickly extinguished a blaze Wednesday, Oct. 22, at Park Drive and East Sherman Street despite a hydrant failure.
According to the Bethalto Volunteer Fire Department’s Facebook page, firefighters were dispatched at 10:19 p.m. Upon arrival, crews saw flames coming from the north side of a single-story dwelling. Crews began to extinguish the fire and experienced a failure with the closest hydrant. Firefighters called the Holiday Shores and Dorsey fire departments for water tenders.
No injuries were reported and crews returned to service at 2 a.m.
Fire Chief Richard Mersinger said the house was being used as a community center by Bethalto United Methodist Church, which is next door to the building. The church was using the house for classes in making stained glass and for meetings, he said.
"They had a class in there earlier in the evening and they were gone for about two hours prior to us getting called," Mersinger said.
The fire was caused by an electrical problem inside the house, Mersinger said.
The structure is severely damaged and will have to be demolished, he said.