Changes are in store for drivers who use the Poplar Street Bridge throughout the next month starting Thursday evening.
The biggest change will be the full closure of the ramp from the westbound Poplar Street Bridge to southbound I-55 and westbound I-44 for a month, beginning at 8 p.m. Thursday.
Work to close that ramp starts Thursday on the Poplar Street Bridge.
First, crews will close the ramp from eastbound I-44 to Walnut for a week, starting at 9 a.m. Thursday, May 28.
While the ramp is closed, drivers will need to use the ramp from eastbound I-44 to Washington to get into downtown St. Louis.
Thursday evening at 8 p.m., crews will shift traffic to the recently resurfaced lanes on the bridge, opening the two right lanes on the bridge and closing the two left lanes. In the section in Illinois where the westbound bridge is split, the southern section of the bridge will be completely closed during this work. Once the bridges join across the Mississippi River, the two left lanes will be closed on the bridge. The exit from northbound Illinois 3 to the westbound PSB will remain closed, with drivers needing to make a U-turn at Barack Obama Avenue as the detour.
When the lane shift is complete, the new ramp from the westbound PSB to eastbound I-44 downtown will open, and the ramp from the westbound PSB to southbound I-55/westbound I-44 will close for a month to start reconstruction. Drivers desiring to head south can take the new ramp, make a U-turn at Washington and head south on southbound I-55 when the new ramp is open.
Starting Friday evening at 8 p.m., crews will close all lanes and ramps on I-44 in both directions between the Tucker ramp and Seventh and Park. They will also close all lanes and ramps on northbound I-55 from Gravois to the Poplar Street Bridge.
Several ramps from westbound I-64 into downtown also will be closed for much of the time during this work. The ramp from the PSB to eastbound I-44 and the exit ramp from westbound I-64 to Ninth Street will be closed for most of the weekend, except for two hours before and a half hour after the start of this weekend’s Cardinals games. All lanes and ramps, except for the ramp from eastbound I-44 to Walnut, will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday, June 1. The ramp to Walnut will reopen by 9 a.m. Thursday, June 4.
To detour around the closure :
• For interstate drivers and truckers heading through Missouri, use I-64 to get into downtown. For those heading to Illinois use I-64 or I-270/I-255 to avoid the closure on I-55 and I-44.
• From eastbound I-70 to eastbound I-64, use the Tucker ramp (Exit 249B) and take Tucker, turn left on Chouteau and turn left on Sixth Street toward the I-64 EB on ramp at Sixth Street.
• From eastbound I-70 to southbound I-55, drivers should use the Tucker ramp (Exit 249B) and take Tucker through the city and stay on Gravois to get to southbound I-55.
• From eastbound I-70 to westbound I-44, use the Tucker ramp (Exit 249B) and take Tucker through the city, turn right on Lafayette and take the ramp to westbound I-44.
• Drivers on eastbound I-70 heading to Illinois should use the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge.
• From northbound I-55 to eastbound I-64, take Gravois (Exit 207A) until it becomes Tucker, turn right on Chouteau and left on Sixth Street to get on eastbound I-64 at the Sixth Street ramp.
• From northbound I-55 to eastbound 70, take Gravois (Exit 207A) until it becomes Tucker, follow Tucker to I-70 eastbound and use the Stan Musial Veterans Memorial Bridge.
• From northbound I-55 to westbound I-70, take Gravois (Exit 207A) until it becomes Tucker, turn right on Cass, turn left on Broadway and turn left at North Market. Turn right to get onto the westbound I-70 ramp at 10th Street.
• From eastbound l-44 to eastbound I-64, drivers can exit at Park and Seventh (Exit 290C), turn right on Park then left on Broadway. Then turn left at the signal at Chouteau, followed by a right on Sixth Street to access eastbound I-64.
• From eastbound I-44 to I -70, drivers can exit at Park and Seventh (Exit 290C), turn right on Park then left on Broadway. Drivers will continue on Fourth Street to Convention Plaza and cross under I-44 and enter onto I-70 in either the east or west direction.
I-270 lane restrictions in Granite City area
The Illinois Department of Transportation announces daytime lane restrictions on the Interstate 270 Mississippi River bridge near Granite City. The lane restrictions are needed to perform bridge inspections.
Weather permitting, the lane closures will take place as follows:
Monday, June 1, and Tuesday, June 2, the westbound right lane will be closed from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Wednesday, June 3, and Thursday, June 4, the eastbound right lane will be closed from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
These lane restrictions may result in significant delays to traffic; motorists are encouraged to consider alternate routes.
Traffic control devices will be utilized during these lane restrictions to assist motorists making their way through the work zone. The department asks motorists to be patient and use additional caution when traveling near and throughout this work zone.