ST. LOUIS — The American Red Cross is launching a Blood Donor App that puts the power to save lives in the palm of your hand.
The app allows users to schedule blood donations, track their total donations, earn rewards and invite friends to join them on a lifesaving team. The app is free and available for download in app stores.
“The Red Cross Blood Donor App is a new way to help meet the constant need for blood,” said Scott Caswell, CEO of the Missouri-Illinois Blood Services Region. “The app makes it easier, faster and more convenient for users to schedule and manage their donation appointments, track the lifetime impact of their donations, and recruit friends and family to roll up a sleeve with them.”
In addition to scheduling and managing blood donation appointments, other features of the app include:
- A blood drive or blood donation locator;
- The ability to sync a blood donation appointment with the user’s calendar;
- Personalized “selfies” donors can use as they share their donation experience through social media;
- Special badges donors can unlock as they interact with the app, make donations and spread the word;
- A chance for donors to come together to form teams, tracking their cumulative impact and viewing standings on the Blood Donor Teams Leaderboard;
- Offers and discounts from some of America’s best brands, including Shari’s Berries, ProFlowers and 1A Auto, with new rewards added regularly; and
- Donor and blood recipient stories that show the power of rolling up a sleeve to help save lives.
The Blood Donor App and other Red Cross apps can be found in app stores by searching for American Red Cross, visiting www.redcross.org/apps or www.redcrossblood.org/bloodapp, or by texting BLOODAPP to 90999 for a direct link to download. Message and data rates for texting may apply.
Eligible blood donors do not need a smartphone to schedule an appointment to give blood. Appointments can always be made by calling (800) RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or by visiting www.redcrossblood.org.