ALTON — Students and staff at East Elementary School briefly were evacuated Tuesday afternoon after a malfunctioning motor filled a boiler room with smoke.
Alton Fire Chief Bernie Sebold said school personnel activated a fire alarm and evacuated the building after observing smoke in the school at 1035 Washington Ave. The fire department was dispatched at about 12:30 p.m.
Firefighters located a small electrical motor that had malfunctioned and was generating smoke in the boiler room, he said.
“There was no active fire; it was isolated to the motor itself,” he said.
Firefighters isolated power to the motor and used ventilation fans to clear smoke from the school before allowing staff and students back in.
There was no structural damage, Sebold said.
“Fortunately, there wasn’t much to it,” he said.
Follow @NewsAdVantage on Twitter