BETHALTO — Civic Memorial High School was evacuated for about 15 minutes Friday after a faulty belt on the gymnasium’s roof caused the smell of smoke.
According to a Bethalto School District press release, the Bethalto Fire Department was contacted at approximately 10:30 a.m. about a smoky smell in the gym. As a precaution, students and staff left the building while the situation was evaluated.
“The safety and security of our students and staff are a top priority, which is why these appropriate precautions were taken,” the press release states.
The fire department allowed students and staff to return to class at 10:45 a.m. Repairs to the rooftop belt unit are under way.
Follow @NewsAdVantage on Twitter