PONTOON BEACH — Three people were hospitalized Thursday after a truck delivery released fumes into a warehouse.
Mitchell Fire Chief Ed Lee said his department was dispatched at 9:12 a.m. to a call at Menasha Packaging, 9 Gateway Commerce Center Drive.
“The original call we got was a woman having breathing problems,” Lee said. “When we got there, that’s when they realized that it was more than just that.”
Lee said the truck was making a delivery and when the back of the vehicle was opened, fumes from a polymer substance sprayed onto metal parts were released into the warehouse. The fumes had been building up in the truck, he said. The brand name for the polymer substance is Pepset 3501, which can cause eye and skin irritation and breathing problems.
Two people were taken to Gateway Regional Medical Center in Granite City and one was transported to Anderson Hospital in Maryville. They were suffering respiratory problems; Lee said the injuries were not considered to be life-threatening. Paramedics checked eight people at the scene.
The Madison County hazardous materials team and the Edwardsville and South Roxana fire departments also responded.