EDWARDSVILLE — Edwardsville Township Supervisor Frank Miles has announced that the township has begun the annual Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), which assists low-income households with paying energy bills.
“LIHEAP helps alleviate the financial burden of high electricity builds for families that may be in a tough spot, especially in light of the excessive heat this summer,” Miles said.
Enrollment in the program began Sept. 2 for seniors and disabled people. Enrollment for households with children younger than 5 begins Oct. 1, with the rest of households becoming eligible to enroll Nov. 1.
“The amount of payment is determined by income, household size and fuel type,” Miles said. “An overdue bill or disconnection notice is not required in order to receive assistance.”
To apply, township residents must first schedule an appointment by calling (618) 656-0292. Applications are accepted by appointment only.
“Our first two days of appointments are completely booked,” Miles said. “We are pleased to provide this assistance to our residents in need.”
Residents must also meet the following 30-day income guidelines:
- $1,459 for a one-person household
- $1,966 for a two-person household
- $2,474 for a three-person household
- $2,981 for a four-person household
- $3,489 for a five-person household
Applicants must also provide the following documentation:
- Proof of gross income from all household members for the 30-day period prior to application date;
- A copy of current heat and electric bills (if they pay for their home energy directly);
- Proof of Social Security Numbers of all household members;
- Proof of Medical Eligibility Card if a member of the household receives TANF assistance; and
- Proof of rent if the household energy bills are included in the rent.
Edwardsville Township does not take applications for reconnection assistance. Those needing reconnection assistance may contact Madison County Community Development at (618) 692-8940.
Edwardsville Township is composed of the city of Edwardsville, village of Glen Carbon and unincorporated areas just outside of these two municipalities. The Township Supervisor’s office is located at 300 West Park in Edwardsville and is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Monday and Friday and from 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.
Learn more about Edwardsville Township online at www.edwardsvilletownship.com or contact the Township Offices by phone at (618) 656-0292.