EDWARDSVILLE — A Worden man died before his apartment burned down last December, according to a press release Thursday from the Madison County Coroner’s Office.
Coroner Stephen P. Nonn said the death of Robert J. Blotevogel was ruled accidental on Wednesday.
Blotevogel was pronounced dead at the scene of a fire at his apartment complex at 8:10 a.m. Dec. 26, 2013. The fire department was summoned to Blotevogel’s apartment at 344 Schneider St. at 7:16 a.m.
The cause of death was determined to be acute intoxication with morphine and benzodiazepines. Blotevogel appeared to succumb to the effects of the drugs before the fire. An autopsy failed to reveal any indication of violence or foul play. Toxicological testing revealed a negative blood alcohol level and the drugs found in his system were consistent with prescribed medications.
Blotevogel, 45 at the time of his death, was a known cigarette smoker. There was no indication of the fire being intentionally set, Nonn said.
The Madison County Sheriff’s Department and Illinois State Fire Marshal’s Office also investigated the incident.
In another case, Nonn said the death of Marilyn Sue Clasen, 50, of the 1500 block of Grand Avenue, Edwardsville, was ruled accidental on Thursday.
Clasen was pronounced dead at the scene of a vehicle crash at 7:30 a.m. May 5 in the first block of Plum Street in Edwardsville. The crash occurred at 6:57 a.m.
The cause of death was determined to be craniocervical blunt trauma (head and neck injuries). Toxicology testing was negative for alcohol or drugs. The crash remains under investigation by the Edwardsville Police Department.