GODFREY – Nine individuals and one team have been selected as the newest class for the Alton High Athletics Hall of Fame.
It’s a diverse group, featuring athletes from seven sports and covering 67 years. The fourth annual Hall of Fame class will be enshrined on Wednesday, Nov. 26, during the Alton Tip-Off Boys Basketball Tournament. The ceremony is set for 7:30 that night.
The 2014 class, their main sports and graduation years are:
- Brad Baker, soccer and baseball, 1979;
- Camie Bechtold, basketball, soccer, tennis and volleyball, 1992;
- Carrie Bechtold, basketball, soccer, tennis and volleyball, 1992;
- Bobby Everage, football and track, 1971;
- Wade Lowe, wrestling, 2007;
- Floyd Raglin Sr., football and track, 1960;
- Bill “Red” Schmitt, wrestling, 1940;
- Rob Simpson, tennis, 2002;
- Gene Velloff, basketball, 1956;
- The 1984-85 boys’ soccer team, the only one in school history to qualify for the IHSA finals.
Joe Hook, an assistant director of athletics at AHS, is serving as chairman for the committee overseeing nominations and coordinating the induction process. Jeff Alderman, Kim Wheeler, Mike Brey, Scott Harper, Dan Carter, Terry Mitchell, Norm Iman, Stan McAfoos and Steve Porter also are committee members.
The Alton Athletics Hall of Fame began in 2011. Community members are urged to nominate quality individuals and top teams annually.